Monday, January 18, 2010

A lift, 7 rand and a real South African experience.

Hello, everybody!
Being in South Africa is a wonderful experience. I started being I little lost with classes and the different language, but it's getting better and better. I need to tell you about my weekend. On Saturday,I went on a typical Safari. There weren't lots of animals, for example, there were only 3 lions, but it was amazing to see the animals interacting in their own environment. The guide told us about canned hunting, we were able to see a white springbok and there were many pregnant females (something about the water there).

But the best part of my weekend was meeting "Spider Man", seeing a shark and getting a ride with a South African family. I was at Simon's Town watching the penguins (and I could literally swim with them) and having a great lunch, when it was about time for us (some mates from school ) to go back home. We were waiting for a minibus but it was impossible to get one. Then, this crazy Korean guy stopped a random vehicle and asked for a ride. It was a van and the 8 of us got in. We met this nice family and they showed us the shark and we talked a little bit about different cultures and the opening of the new stadium. A lift, 7 rand and real South African experience!

I don't know whether is common to talk to strangers here or not. But it constantly happens to me and I'm getting used to it. This crazy man at the train station started talking to me out of nowhere. He talked about his work, Brazil, South Africa. Really, for me it's good to practice my English, but I can't help being a little bit concerned about chatting with strangers. He had a point telling me to not be scared and not judge people for their outside. But being frank, it's a little weird, specially when this unknown person huggs you!
Coming next: my unexpected hard hiking Lion's Head.

1 comment: